Friday, January 16, 2009

27 Dresses


My oldest daughter loves the movie 27 Dresses. I do too. My husband, not so much. I guess you can call it a chick flick. If you are familiar with the movie, the lead character, Jane, is an Executive Secretary/Assistant to the CEO. After watching the movie, my daughter informs me that she wants to have a job just like Jane's. (This is the same girl who has her heart set on Harvard) Every time she tells me this I frown and tell her she should want to be the CEO and not the Assistant. But she throws it back at me and says that she doesn't want to have to go to all the meetings (like I do); she just wants to schedule them.

Well scheduling meetings isn't as stress-free as she thinks. As an example, today I went to a meeting that I have had to re-schedule three times. And things will happen that you cannot control. Like the way someone is dressed, or the fact that they don't show up on time. When you are the person coordinating the meeting, the stress level can become quite high. Trust me. Take this as me venting or as some simple advice:
  1. Dress professionally. It is always better to over-dress and look professional than to dress casual and look sloppy.

  2. Don't be late. Be a little early. Leave in plenty of time. Make sure you know where you are going.

  3. If you know you are going to be late, call the person who invited you to let them know PRIOR TO THE MEETING that you are running behind. It doesn't do anyone much good if you are already 15 minutes late and you call to say you are on your way.

Feeling better already. Thanks for listening.

1 comment:

Vicky said...

You said it very well once again. Some people just don't fully understand what professional really means.