Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Life Advice From 5th Graders

Due to the cutbacks in Newark City Schools, two of my three children do not have bus service to and from school. This is the second school year that we have had to deal with this. Luckily, a friend of mine came up with a plan for three families to carpool and made out a monthly schedule for all of us. I owe her BIG TIME - Thanks Kelly!

My responsibilities include taking five girls to school every other week, picking up girls every Tuesday and every third Friday. Two of the five bodies I haul around are my children. Yesterday on the way to school, the girls were complaining that they didn't want to go to school. I gently reminded them that they had already had five and a half days off and that it was time to go back to school to "get smart". The response from one of my daughters was that she already knew everything and had no need for more schooling. And then her friend said, "Cheri, we already know our multiplication tables, can count to ten and know our A B C's. That should get us through life just fine."

I chuckled, but felt confident that these girls are going to great things when they go out into the world. But I think I need to start praying for their future husbands now.

No comments: