Monday, November 30, 2009

"Hey Beautiful, You Have A Text Message"

My daughter recently upgraded her cell phone. Like any typical teenage girl, she downloaded different ring tones and music and apps. Last week I happened to be near her when her phone said: "Hey beautiful, you have a text message". I looked at her and asked, "who is that guy and why did he just tell you that?" She laughed and told me that it was something you can download and that one of her friends sent it to her to use. I wanted to hear it again, so I sent her a text. Sure enough, the man said, "Hey beautiful, you have a text message". I told her that I LOVED it and asked if she would send it to me. Of course she said no. "That would be weird if you had it on your phone mom", she snapped. I was disappointed.

Why did I want that on my phone? Emotion. It made me feel good. I kept thinking to myself, wouldn't it be nice to hear that every day, even if it was from a man's voice who I did not know? It is a self-confidence booster.

Get a group of women together and they tend to compliment each other on their clothes, hair, shoes, purses, jewelry (you get the point). The bottom line is that it is human nature that we like to hear compliments about ourselves. It makes us smile. It puts a little bounce in our step. It puts us in a good mood.

In this fast-paced world, we are so busy that we stop noticing things and we forget to compliment each other. Positive comments can go a long way in building and maintaining relationships. It also creates a habit of thinking of others first, and wanting to make other people happy.

And this world can use a lot less selfishness, if you ask me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your post. Once in a while for not much reason at all, I will go out of my way and do something nice for someone. I found that by doing so that it not only builds those important relationships, makes someone else happy, but that it made me happy too. Like you I cant get away from the idea that a positive message on my phone to "me" each time the phone rings is not a bad idea. Perhaps I'll create one for myself.