Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Write-In Candidates

As I was mailing out the 2010 Candidate Questionnaire's for the November election, I noticed I was missing a few addresses for the U.S. Senate Candidates so I called our local Board of Elections, wh0 are always so helpful.

They gave me the addresses I needed and then asked if I knew that an Independent had filed along with a write-in candidate for that race, which I did not know.

That got me thinking about why anyone would think they would have a chance as a write-in candidate. I mean it would take an enormous amount of effort to have people ask for a special ballot and then have them write your name on it. Seems impossible.

But not as impossible as I thought.

Remember Strom Thurmond? U.S. Senator from South Carolina. He ran as a write-in candidate in 1954 and was the first person ever to be elected to Congress as a write-in candidate.

Another example closer to home is Ohio Congressman Charlie Wilson. He was elected in 2006 as a write-in candidate.

And in our own backyard, years ago, Owen Lee was elected to Newark City Council as a write-in.

Lesson here: What may seem impossible, may not be, given some effort.

Published by Cheri.

No comments: