Last night my husband and I attended a town hall meeting hosted by the Lance Armstrong Foundation, and Lance himself. Special guests were Senator John McCain and Paula Zahn. Mr. Armstrong stated that the reason the Foundation exists is to "serve a cause greater than yourself". A simple statement, but one that if everyone lived by, the world would indeed be a much better place. For more information on his Foundation, go here.
Some facts that I learned:
- 1 American loses their war against cancer every minute
- 1 out of 2 men will get cancer
- 1 out of 3 women will get cancer
- 560,000 people die every year from cancer
- There are currently over 12 million cancer survivors in US (thanks for the correction!)
Senator McClain, a cancer survivor himself, was questioned on what the level of funding for cancer research would be if he became President. Although he couldn't give specific numbers, he did confirm that the amount of funding would increase from what it currently is today (it has been decreased over the past three years). Mr. Armstrong was correct - we are at war. And he wasn't referring to the military. Progress has been made, but a cure hasn't been found. We need to do more.