Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Perfect Gift

In my office is a large built-in book shelf along one wall. It took me a while to clean and organize it, but when I finally did, I was pleased. I actually had room to display many things from Licking County businesses. The objects range from coffee mugs, to shirts, to mouse pads. An interesting thing began to happen. Sometimes when I would have meetings in my office, my guests would browse the shelves and look for something from their companies. If I didn't have anything from them, I would receive a gift the next day - mugs, pens, a clock or two, etc. So it has now become a topic of conversation.

I also have some personal items on these shelves: pictures of my children, a jar of shark's teeth we found over the last few years in Florida and a gift I received from The Works - a hand-blown paper weight. It is beautiful. They make our John Alford Community Service Award each year that we present to someone in the community at our Groundhog Breakfast. If you haven't visited The Works and the glassblowing studio you need to. They have unique, one-of-a-kind gifts made right here in Licking County. Here is a short video clip of the studio: http://imageslickingcounty.com/index.php?/site/video_gallery/play/the_works_glassmaking


Take some time to visit this gem in our community.


No comments: