Saturday, November 29, 2008

How Zumba Kicked My Butt


Ever have that awkward feeling of what was I thinking when I decided to do this? Well I had the pleasure of feeling that way this morning.

About a month ago, the Licking County Aging Program put on a very nice holiday luncheon and the entire staff at the chamber attended. One of the topics covered that day was an exercise program called ZUMBA that was being offered at Zerger Hall. There was a short preview of the class and I thought, hmm. . .sounds like my type of exercise; nothing too hard and if women in the Aging Program can do this, so can I. The instructor handed out free passes to attend a class.

So today, Jennifer and I decided to try out Zumba for ourselves. As we walked in, with our hair and make-up done, we noticed that most of the women in the class didn't look like us. They had their hair pulled back, with very little or no make-up on. This was clue number one. And when the instructor said you probably won't be wearing any make-up at the end of class, I just smiled and thought, sure - whatever. Then she asked me if I brought any water and I said no, I didn't think about it. She looked at me and said "You will need to get some water" and directed me to the sink. At this point, I started to feel a little uncomfortable. Jennifer was a little more prepared and offered to share her water with me.

As we were waiting for the class to begin, the "regulars" started setting out fans throughout the room. Jennifer and I laughed because we were actually cold and couldn't imagine why all these fans would be needed. We soon learned why - 15 minutes into the workout, we were hoping they would open the windows and doors!

All I can say is that I was ill prepared for this class. I came without the two essentials - water and a towel to wipe the sweat off after just 15 minutes. I can't remember when I have looked at a clock as much as I did today. At the beginning of the class, the instructor went over some "basic steps" that would be needed for the class. After watching her do the Cha cha, Salsa, Rumba and Mambo, I knew I was in deep trouble.

All I can say is that I am going to hurt tomorrow. My legs and my butt are still in burn mode. I am now convinced that I am out of shape. This was a great class and it was a lot of fun. It was not what I expected - but I will be back.

No comments: