Friday, November 28, 2008

Making Lists


When I was doing my last-minute grocery shopping the other night, I noticed that I wasn't alone in this endeavor. Many people were out shopping for their Thanksgiving meal ingredients as well. And for some reason, it seemed that there were a lot more men doing the shopping this year. I noticed that many of them had detailed lists, and they were very focused on making the list maker happy.

It reminded me of a time when I was running for Mayor in 2003. I was in a joint endorsement interview with a local paper and a radio station. They drilled me on many things about city government. But the one question that was thrown at me that I will never forget was: "When you go to the grocery store, do you take a list?" It caught me totally off guard and so I thought for a moment and answered honestly. I told them that when I did the weekly shopping, yes, I did take a list with me, but when I needed to stop in during the week for a few items, a list wasn't needed. That seemed to make them happy, as they gave me a smile. Later, after I lost the election, one man who was in the interview said that I answered that question perfectly. He went on to say that making lists shows good organizational skills; but being able to adapt without one for small tasks is also a very valuable asset to acquire.

There is no question that I get more done at home and at work when I make lists. It helps me get re-focused when I have been distracted with something or by someone. I found a good article on this subject here. It was written to help make 2008 the best year ever - guess I will use it for 2009 instead.

No comments: