Monday, October 26, 2009

Internet Fact vs. Fiction

My husband brought home a copy of an email he wanted me to read and it was one I enjoyed. As I was reading it, I thought about posting it on this blog. That is until I read the last line:

"Its estimated 93% won't forward this. If you are one of the 7% who will, forward this with the title '7%' "

Let me first tell you that if you send me something that has that on the bottom of the page, I WILL NOT forward this on to anyone. Chances are that I probably will hit 'delete' right away.

But because I liked this email, I decided to do a little research to see if it was real. Here are my findings:

1. The email said it was written by Regina Brett, a 90 year-old woman who is a columnist for The Plain Dealer. The title was called 45 Lessons Life Taught Me.

Fact: Her name is Regina Brett and she is a columnist for the Plain Dealer

Fact: She is 50 - NOT 90. Just a 40-year mistake.

Fact: The original article was called 50 Life Lessons - Regina Brett's 45 life lessons and 5 to grow on

Lesson - Although I can't imagine operating today without the Internet, I certainly don't believe everything I read. You must have a filter and be willing to do some fact checking if you are planning on passing the information on to other people to read.

And you should check out the list. It is filled with good, solid advice to live by discovered by a 50 year-old.

No comments: