Friday, January 22, 2010

Networking Basics

Started reading three new books this week (I know what you are thinking). I'm not very far into it, but never eat alone by Keith Ferrazzi is very interesting. I picked it up because it sounded like it was full of good networking tips that not only I could benefit from, but I am hoping that our members will as well.

He says a line early on in the book that I tell many of our members when I am talking to them about networking at our events. He says " Because, flat out, people do business with people they know and like." Simple but true.

A few key points I like so far:
  1. Understand the importance of mentors -" At every stage in my career, I sought out the most successful people around me and asked for their help and guidance.
  2. Put others first - He says that real networking is "about finding ways to make other people more successful."
  3. Know you have value - ". . .it's the value you bring that makes people want to connect with you. You feel satisfaction when both your peers and your organization share in your advancement."
  4. Don't keep score - "Until you become as willing to ask for help as you are to give it, however, you are only working half the equation."
  5. Find your passion - "A goal is a dream with a deadline. Before you start writing down your goals, you'd better know what your dream is."

Good stuff to ponder. Think I'll keep reading now.

- Posted by Cheri

No comments: