He says a line early on in the book that I tell many of our members when I am talking to them about networking at our events. He says " Because, flat out, people do business with people they know and like." Simple but true.
A few key points I like so far:
- Understand the importance of mentors -" At every stage in my career, I sought out the most successful people around me and asked for their help and guidance.
- Put others first - He says that real networking is "about finding ways to make other people more successful."
- Know you have value - ". . .it's the value you bring that makes people want to connect with you. You feel satisfaction when both your peers and your organization share in your advancement."
- Don't keep score - "Until you become as willing to ask for help as you are to give it, however, you are only working half the equation."
- Find your passion - "A goal is a dream with a deadline. Before you start writing down your goals, you'd better know what your dream is."
Good stuff to ponder. Think I'll keep reading now.
- Posted by Cheri